Intent Statement and Progression Map
Modern Foreign Languages Intent Statement
To enable our children to celebrate and welcome differences in our world, it is vital they have an understanding of different languages and countries. By introducing and exposing our children to this they will have a deepened ability to show respect and play a valuable part in our global society. To achieve this end point, we aim through our Modern Foreign Languages curriculum, to inspire a love of language as part of their lifelong journey of learning.
The National Curriculum for Modern Foreign Languages aims to ensure that all pupils in Key Stage 2:
- understand and respond to spoken and written language from a variety of authentic sources
- speak with increasing confidence, fluency and spontaneity, finding ways of communicating what they want to say, including through discussion and asking questions, and continually improving the accuracy of their pronunciation and intonation
- can write at varying length, for different purposes and audiences, using the variety of grammatical structures that they have learnt
- discover and develop an appreciation of a range of writing in the language studied
Our aims at Hipsburn Primary in teaching a language are:
- To develop an interest in learning other languages.
- To introduce young children to another language in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating.
- To encourage children’s confidence and creative skills through the exploration of another language.
- To stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language.
- To help children develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries.
- To develop listening, speaking, reading and writing skills.
- To lay the foundations for future language learning.